Thursday, December 3, 2009

Why is "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" So Popular?

The #1 New York Times Bestseller, Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a child favorite- my children included. The novel in cartoons by Jeff Kinney now has three additional books and a Do It Yourself Edition. Children rushed to the library to get the latest copy of the newest book when the school library had only two copies and in book stores and book fairs, children beg their parents to purchase it for them.

So what is it about these books that are so popular with children of this age? Honestly, I'm just happy to see children so eager to read but I was curious about the books both as a writer and as a parent. I want to know what my children are reading and take an interest in their books so I often read what they are reading if I haven't already. I'm also curious as a writer about popular types of writing of today.

So I set out to find out just what makes these books so popular. The first step was to read them for myself and what better time than when the school Scholastic Book Fair came around? My 3rd and 4th grade children were thrilled when I purchased them and now I get to read through them as well.

My first glances at Diary of a Wimpy Kid show me that it's similar to putting a comic strip in a book form. Can you remember reading your favorite comic in the Sunday paper and feeling sad that you had to wait another week for more?

Except this is also a novel. It tells the story of Greg Heffley, a wimpy kid, through his own eyes. Here through diary entries and drawings, we are introduced to an unlikely hero. I'm excited to discover more about this great book series and character.

No comments:

Post a Comment